Job Description – Community Gardener
Phytology is an action research project bringing together artists, scientists, botanists, and communities to explore the ecology and medicinal properties of wild plants and weeds. The project seeks to challenge perceptions of the value of un-manicured growth, revealing practical biomedical usefulness, and suggesting a wider eco-connectivity in modern cities. Our 2018 program looks to co-create a space to explore the relationship between environment and social justice.
We are now looking for a Community Gardener to join our team in Spring 2018!
- Basic knowledge & competence in horticulture
- Basic knowledge / interest in learning about medicinal plants and herbalism
- Experience working with meadow planting
- Exceptional communication skills, ability to manage own time, workload and priorities
- Experienced and skilled in working with a range of people of various backgrounds and abilities
- Experience supporting people with mental health difficulties
- Experience of social justice related work and practices
We particularly welcome applications from BAME candidates, as they are currently under-represented in our gardening team.
The successful candidate will be asked to join occasional trustee and residents’ association meetings out of the normal working hours. Your attendance at these meetings will be either paid or can be exchanged for time off in lieu.
Phytology is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a work environment that is both diverse and accessible. You will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, disability, or age.
Please email email@example.com a CV and 500-word cover letter outlining your experience, interests, and reason for applying for the role.
Application deadline – 10 am, April 16th 2018
Interviews – April 21st 2018
Working hours / dates – 10 am – 6 pm Saturday’s, May – September 2018
Wage – £12.00 per hour (self employed)
Additional – Training opportunities available